Care They Can Use
The road to wellness starts with you. Many patients believe that the more you visit, provide patient support and offer a listening ear, the better they feel. How can you help the ones you love? You can offer a patient support by educating yourself about your loved one’s condition and treatment options. By learning about their health care needs, you can provide the right kind of support and care during their time at Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center Hospital.
Here are some simple ways to help:
- Prepare a checklist for the hospital stay. Ask your loved one what he or she will need and offer to pack it.
- Plan a route to arrive at the hospital on time or early.
- Pack small, uplifting personal items to decorate the room, such as photographs or children’s drawings.
- Ask your loved one to help you draw up a list of approved visitors. Stick to the list to ensure your loved one doesn’t feel overwhelmed or caught off guard.
- Discuss the discharge plan. Ask:
- Who will take the patient home after surgery?
- Who will help at home?
- What are the children’s after-school schedules?
- Who will prepare meals, clean the house and wash the clothes?
- Talk through everything in advance to give everyone peace of mind.
- Learn the names of medical team members and communicate clearly with them.
- Before the patient goes home, prepare the house:
- Fill any post-surgery prescriptions and have them ready.
- Stock the house with healthy foods and beverages.
- Keep track of medications and when to take them.